2014, as a year, was depressing. I don’t think anyone looks at the world these days and feels a massive overdose of hope right now. In times like these it is hard to get excited for films that reflect this world state. In my family we call these movies “Debbie Downers”. The real world gave us enough “Debbie Downers” this year that our selections mostly reflect a pendulum swing in the other direction. Isn’t this supposed to be the art of escapism, after all? On to the picks …
(Top 5 Movies of 2014 = Movies that came out in 2014 and had to have been seen by the person choosing it as a top 5; also to note this wonderful post was written by my husband)
- Everyone loves Guardians of the Galaxy and rightfully so. Even my mother, who is tired of the trend of American film becoming synonymous with the superhero genre, felt compelled to put in on her list. Also interesting about Guardians is that my entire family loved it for generally different reasons – the humor, the star-making turn for Chris Pratt, the first appearance of cosmic characters and stories in the MCU. What we all shared, though, was a love for Rocket.
- My brothers love movies, but they don’t LOOOOOVE movies. This week I just combined their selections, but that will not always be the case. You have to give them a pass because they were pretty preoccupied with the Royals season for most of the year.
- Despite what I said earlier, a few “Debbie Downers” of various degrees made the list – most notably The Imitation Game. If you saw the movie, you know what we mean. To cheer yourself up – check out the Benedict Cumberbatch name generator.
- Between Interstellar and The Imitation Game, Tianna set world-records for “Most Tears Shed In Front of Strangers” and “Most Awkward Car Rides Home”.
- Speaking of awkwardness – my family watched Gone Girl together … at home … for the holidays. Nothing brings the yule-tide cheer like self-sodomy with a broom handle.
Posts Like This