Happy National…………Cherry Popover Day??? I had no idea that a popover and a turnover were two completely different things. I will admit – I did not make this recipe. As I said previously, I’m not a huge hot cherry fan and well…what is a popover?
So I found that a popover is a doughy type of muffin made from egg batter. As it bakes, the dough rises to “pop over” the edge of the muffin tin and form a hollow shell. You can then fill the center with butter and jam, gravy, or a delicious cherry sauce.
Sounds good – if it were filled with chocolate!! 🙂
Cherries are also very good for you! They are a good source of melatonin, which can stimulate your brain and help you sleep better at night.
Here is the recipe that I found over at Real Simple – Dried Cherry Popover
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: 10m| Total Time: 55m
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon, granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs and 1/3 cup of the sugar. Whisk in the flour until no lumps remain. Whisk in the milk and melted butter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and scatter the cherries over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and bake until puffed and golden, about 45 minutes. Serve warm.
Related Article(s): Happy National Cherry Turnover Day! (alittlebitme.com)