I love Sunday dinners with my family. The time spent around the table is priceless! Here is a great menu your family is sure to love! Enjoy!!
Roasted Chicken & Gravy
- broiler-fryer chicken (4-5 lb/1.8-2.3 g)
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. (1-cm) slices
- stalk celery, cut into 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces
- garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 can (14 oz/284 mL) chicken broth, divided
- tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Place in Deep Dish Baker, breast side up. Arrange vegetables around chicken. Combine garlic, oil, rosemary, thyme, salt and black pepper in small bowl; brush over chicken. Pour half of the broth over the vegetables.
Bake 1 hour, 15 minutes to 1 hour, 30 minutes or until Digital Pocket Thermometer registers 180°F (82°C) in meaty part of thigh and juices run clear, stirring vegetables once during cooking. Remove baker from oven. Transfer chicken and vegetables to serving platter; tent with foil.
Using Oven Mitts, carefully pour drippings from baker into strainer of Gravy Separator. Allow fat to rise to the surface. Pour off juices using spout with divider into large measuring cup. Stop pouring before fat pours off with juices. Add chicken broth to juices to measure 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) liquid.
Pour off 2 tbsp (30 mL) fat from drippings into small saucepan (discard remaining fat from drippings). Whisk flour into fat until smooth; cook over medium heat 1-2 minutes or until fragrant and light golden brown. Gradually add juices, whisking until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy comes to a boil and thickens, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve chicken with gravy.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 580, Total Fat 33 g, Saturated Fat 9 g, Cholesterol 190 mg, Carbohydrate 8 g, Protein 60 g, Sodium 560 mg, Fiber 1 g
Roasted Green Beans, Mushrooms and Tomatoes
- 3 cups of fresh green beans, cleaned and dried
- 2 cups of fresh sliced button mushrooms, dry
- 6 oz. grape tomatoes, clean and dry
- 2 tsp. oil of your choice
- 1 – 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- salt and pepper, to liking
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Use your Stoneware large Bar Pan.
2. Mix the vegetables with the oil, garlic and salt and pepper. Spread on prepared bar pan in a single layer, avoiding overcrowding. ( you don’t want the vegetables to steam)
3. Roast in oven for 20 – 30 minutes, depending on how you like them done. Serve immediately.
Quick Mashed Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs. potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4-cup milk
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Optional mix-ins such as butter, pressed garlic cloves, cream cheese, sour cream or cheddar cheese
Place potatoes and enough water to cover into Rice Cooker Plus. Cover; microwave on HIGH 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Carefully remove inner lid and drain water. Add milk to potatoes; mash potatoes. Add salt, black pepper and mix-ins, if desired; mix thoroughly.
Yield: 4 servings of (excluding optional ingredients)
Nutrients per serving: Calories 140, Total Fat 0 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 31 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 85 mg, Fiber 2 g
Choco-Peanut Butter Swirl Cake
- 1 pkg (18.25 ounces/520 g) yellow cake mix
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) creamy peanut butter
- 3 squares (1 ounce/30 g each) semi-sweet chocolate for baking
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) creamy peanut butter
- 2-3 tbsp (30-45 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) coarsely chopped peanuts
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). For cake, brush Stoneware Fluted Pan with vegetable oil. Place cake mix in Classic Batter Bowl. In medium bowl, combine water, peanut butter and eggs; whisk until well blended. Spoon peanut butter mixture into batter bowl; mix until well blended. Pour 2 cups (500 mL) batter into pan.
Place chocolate in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute or until melted and smooth, stirring every 15 seconds. Stir chocolate into remaining batter. Spoon chocolate batter onto batter in pan; swirl using a table knife.
Bake 50-55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pan. If necessary, loosen cake from sides of pan. Carefully invert pan onto cooling rack. Cool 30 minutes.
For glaze, whisk peanut butter and 2 tablespoons (30 mL) milk until smooth. Add powdered sugar; mix until smooth. If necessary, gradually add additional milk until glaze is of desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over cake; sprinkle nuts evenly over glaze.
Yield: 16 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 280, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Carbohydrate 39 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 290 mg, Fiber 2 g
Here are some of the tools that I used: