Happy National Banana Split Day!! This rich dessert is delicious on a warm summer night.
Here’s a great spin on the traditional Banana Split – I like it and i think you might too!
Banana Split Dessert
- 1 pkg (15 oz/350 g) frozen deep dish pie shells (2 shells), thawed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) milk1 pkg (3.4 oz/102 g) vanilla instant pudding
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Flatten one pie crust in center of Medium Round Stone with Handles; brush with water and sprinkle with nuts. Place remaining crust over first crust, matching edges. Gently press down to seal with bottom crust. Using Baker’s Roller®, roll out crusts to edge of baking stone. Fold 1/2 in. (1 cm) of crust edge under to form an even border. Using pastry tool, form a decorative edge; prick center of pastry.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately sprinkle with chocolate morsels; let stand until melted. Spread evenly over crust; cool completely.
- For filling, place cream cheese in Classic Batter Bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until softened; whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Add pudding mix and sugar; whisk until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in pineapple. Spread filling evenly over crust. Refrigerate until serving time.
- For toppings, arrange fruit over top of pie. Attach open star tip to Easy Accent® Decorator; fill with whipped topping. Pipe topping around edge of pastry.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 140, Total Fat 25 g, Saturated Fat 10 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Carbohydrate 45 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 280 mg, Fiber 2 g