Light and airy, sponge cake is the perfect dessert for a summer day. That’s why I’m super glad today is National Sponge Cake Day!
Lemony Angel Cake
- 1 pkg (14.6 oz/430 g) angel food cake mix
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups (500 mL) powdered sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 pkg (10 1/2 oz/300 g) frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into ungreased Rectangular Baker; spread evenly. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and cracks appear dry (do not underbake cake). Carefully invert Baker onto Stackable Cooling Rack (do not remove cake from Baker); cool completely.
- Using skewer, poke holes in top of cake about 1 1/2 in. (4 cm) deep and 1/2 in. (2 cm) apart. Finely zest lemons to measure 1 tbsp (15 mL). Juice lemons using Juicer to measure 2 oz (60 g).
- In Small Batter Bowl, combine powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice. Pour over cake; spread evenly. Let stand 30 minutes or until glaze is set. Cut into squares and serve with whipped topping; top with raspberries.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 400, Total Fat 3.5 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 88 g, Protein 5 g, Sodium 380 mg, Fiber 2 g