Croutons give these healthy appetizers a burst of flavor and help crisp them up!
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) large fat-free seasoned restaurant-style croutons (see Cook’s Tip)
- 1 oz (30 g) Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450ºF (230ºC). Line Cookie Sheet with Parchment Paper. Trim and discard ends of zucchini; cut in half crosswise using Chef’s Knife. Cut each zucchini half using French Fry Cutter (discard any thinner pieces). Place croutons in Manual Food Processor; cover and pump handle until finely chopped. Grate Parmesan cheese with Microplane® Adjustable Fine Grater. Place chopped croutons and half of the Parmesan cheese in Coating Tray; mix well.
- Whisk egg white in Classic Batter Bowl until frothy. Add zucchini; mix gently until well coated. Dredge zucchini in crouton mixture, pressing firmly to coat. Arrange zucchini in a single layer on Cookie Sheet. Bake 14–16 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, for dip, combine remaining Parmesan cheese, yogurt, basil, mayonnaise, garlic and black pepper in clean processor bowl; cover and pump handle until well blended, scraping down sides as necessary. Remove Cookie Sheet from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack. Serve zucchini fries with dip.
10 servings of about 3 fries and 1 tbsp (15 mL) dip
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 70, Total Fat 2 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 180 mg, Carbohydrate 7 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 4 g
For best results, choose croutons that are about 3/4 x 3/4 in. (2 x 2 cm) in size.