Delicious, elegant and healthy! The perfect ending for your Mother’s Day celebration or any special occasion! Blending a homemade meringue with farmer’s cheese gives this delicious dessert the look and creamy texture of a traditional cheesecake — but with less calories and fat.
|1||pkg (7 oz or 200 g) amaretti cookies (around 42 cookies), finely crushed (see Cook’s Tip)|
|2||tbsp (30 mL) light butter, melted|
|1||pkg (16 oz) farmer’s cheese (see Cook’s Tip)|
|3/4||cup (175 mL) sugar, divided|
|3||tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour|
|4||large eggs, separated, divided|
|1/4||cup (50 mL) 2% milk|
|2||tsp (10 mL) almond extract|
|1||lb (450 g) fresh strawberries, hulled|
|1||tbsp (15 mL) honey, warmed|
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). For crust, lightly spray sides of Springform Pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line sides of pan with two 2 1/2 x 13 1/2-in. (6 x 34-cm) pieces of Parchment Paper. Combine cookie crumbs and butter in Classic Batter Bowl; stir until combined. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and slightly up sides of pan. Bake 12-14 minutes or until crust is slightly browned. Remove pan from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack.
- For filling, place cheese in food processor; process until smooth. Using Microplane® Adjustable Fine Grater, zest orange to measure 1 tbsp (15 mL). In Stainless (6-qt./6-L) Mixing Bowl, combine zest, 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the sugar, flour, egg yolks, milk and extract. Beat on medium speed of electric hand mixer until smooth. Beat in cheese until smooth and creamy; set aside.
- In Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl and using clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. While continuously beating, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar in a very slow, steady stream. Continue beating 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, meringue is glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Stir one-fourth of the meringue into cheese mixture using Small Mix ‘N Scraper®; gently fold in remaining meringue. Pour filling over crust. Bake 45-50 minutes or until center is set when gently shaken and top is very light golden brown. Remove pan from oven to cooling rack; cool 10 minutes. Remove collar and parchment from pan. Replace collar; cool completely, about 3 hours. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, slice strawberries using Egg Slicer Plus®. Top cheesecake with strawberries and brush with honey using Chef’s Silicone Basting Brush.
Yield: 16 slices
Nutrients per serving: (1 slice): Calories 170, Total Fat 4.5 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 45 mg, Fiber 1 g
U.S. Diabetic Exchanges Per Serving: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat (2 carb)
Cook’s Tips: Amaretti cookies are traditional Italian cookies that can be found in the cookie section of most grocery stores.
Farmer’s cheese is a fresh white cheese that is often sold in a firm, solid loaf. It has a slightly tangy flavor. Look for cheese that has 1.5 g fat in 2 tbsp (30 mL).
For best results, top the cheesecake with strawberries just before serving.